30 August, 2010

Charles Gregory


Charles Gregory
11/11/10 9 lbs 4oz
10 weeks old. 13.2lbs
1 year old 23 lbs
2 years old 26 lbs






Currently 30 weeks pregnant with baby C.  I'm starting to feel "normal" though. I 'popped' kind of early and have felt huge since about 18 weeks. Everyone has been shocked to hear that I'm not that far along since pretty much day one. But now I'm feeling a little more on track with growth & 10 weeks doesn't sound so far away!

EDD: November 11th
Gender: Boy
Activity Level: WILD CHILD

-------------------------------------

I could think of SO many titles for this post:

Charles Gregory Wilson's Birth Story
The birth of Charlie Wilson
Charlie's Homebirth
I FREAKING DID IT!
Charles Wilson's water birth


Haha, it truly was AMAZING. Amazing. An experience I will never forget. And one that I want so badly to do again and again and again and again. We're not certain if we'll have more children, but in dreamland, I would have 20 more babies just to have 20 more homebirths. And NO, I'm not crazy!


--------------

10 November 2010

One day before my "due date." Throughout my entire pregnancy, I had told any and everyone who would listen that there was no way I was getting to my due date. My other two were early (Analee 4 days, Brian 2 weeks) so I just "knew" baby C would be early as well. Wishful thinking? Probably. So imagine my surpise when November 10th came around and I was *still* pregnant. I had been tossing around ideas of "inducing" myself (ie: spicy foods, chiropractic techniques, jumping, walking, herbal tinctures, etc) from about 38 weeks. Everytime I was tempted to try something, I talked myself down. I had to remind myself that he truly would come when HE was ready, that I wouldn't be pregnant forever.

I was discussing this with my midwife at my 39 week visit. She told me, "This is your experience. What do you want your story to be?" Meaning, do I really want the end of my pregnancy to be remembered as frantic & just trying to 'get it over with?' I quickly decided that I would just rest, relax, wait for baby C. The next week went on and I was so at peace. I was comfortable and any anxiety that I previously had just went away as we waited.

I kind of always felt like I would go into labor at night. So each evening as we were preparing for bed, I tidied up the house, and went over my checklists for birth. The evening of November 10th, we decided to go for a long walk before meeting up with Brandon's dad and sister for dinner. We circled the block a few times, stopping every so often so I could catch my breath and stretch out my back. Later we ate a yummy dinner at Culvers (of COURSE my "last meal" was a cheeseburger!). I had been having some strong braxton hicks contractions for a few weeks and they were starting to feel stronger, not painful, but stronger that night.

Every once in a while I go picture-taking crazy. When we got home I felt the urge to snap, snap, snap away...pictures of the children, Brandon, and myself. I later was very thankful for the impomptu photo shoot! It was our last evening as a family of 4.






We all went to bed. Goodnight.

-------

11 November 2010

2:00am
I woke up with some very strong, cramp-like contractions. Like both of my other labors, these contractions woke me from a dead sleep. Two o'clock in the morning on the dot.
(Analee's labor started at 3am sharp, Brian's at 1am sharp...interesting.)

I layed there for about 45 minutes, watching the clock. The waves of cramps came and went and didn't appear to be steady. I closed my eyes between each one and started to realize that "this is it!" and I couldn't help but smile. I was not afraid. I was READY.

2:50am
I sat up in bed and woke Brandon. I just had a big smile on my face and he said "Should I call into work?" I just nodded. A few more minutes passed and I decided to get up and call my midwife. As I walked down the hall to the living room, it was like a kickstart for my contractions.

3:00am
Contractions went from mild and crampy to moderately strong and close together. I quickly called my midwife and said "This is it!" and she was on her way. She had about a 45 minute drive so this is why I called her so early in labor (or what I THOUGHT was early labor).

3:28am
I sent a text out to everyone else on my birth team, telling them the time had come and for them head on over.

By this time I was already needing to focus and breath through contractions. I brought the birthing ball out to the kitchen and sat on that for a while. At this time Brandon began filling the birthing pool. I remember looking up during a hard contraction and seeing Cheli come into the house. Out of all 10 people that attended the birth, her arrival was the only one I recall. She immediately jumped into "doula" action, asking what I needed and coaching me through contractions.

It's funny, I had plans all throughout my pregnancy to do some light housework, relaxing, and spending time with the kids during early labor. Little did I know that that hour from 2am-3am was my early labor and as soon as my feet hit the floor at 3am, active labor began and while I was able to relax through most of it, there certainly was no "housework" being done on my part! Thankfully, my birth team rocked and took care of everything for me.

Here is a little bit, word for word, of the birthing journal that various people wrote in during labor:

"4:01am You are laboring great. Brandon is filling up the pool! Sara, Jenn, Cheli are here. Linda just arrived; Analee watching Max & Ruby, contractions getting noticably closer. Mom just arrived as well."

Oh yes, forgot to mention...Analee woke up around 3:20am when I was making my phone calls. She was very worried that I was leaving and became very clingy. I explained to her that it was time for Baby Charlie to come see us and that I was not going anywhere. I thought to myself, how hard would that have been to have her see me leave and be gone for a few days, coming home with a little new creature? I did it that way when her brother Brian was born , and no, she's probably not scarred for life. But being able to have her be a part of the whole experience, having my children right by my side...reason #63 to have a homebirth. She was so in tune with me, she knew exactly what I needed.




Brian come trotting down the hall around 4am. I was not expecting that! I remember seeing him and just pointing to him in the middle of a contraction. LOL I don't remember who got him, but I do know that he knew there was something exciting go on and did not go back to bed. He spent a lot of time playing in the living room with his Grandpa Darin and Grandma Jucy.




Ok, back to the journal log:

"4:06am You are vomitting; going through contractions on birthing ball, Cheli helping w/ counter pressure on lower back.

4:18am Jenny arrives

4:21am contraction"

At this point, Linda asked me if I wanted to try getting in the tub. I told her I was afraid because I knew that things would probably get more intense in the water. I was also nervous to speed things up since my midwife was not there yet. I decided to wait a few more minutes.



"4:24am contraction

4:27am contraction. Analee is in the bedroom w/ you and Brian is walking through the kitchen, livingroom with your mom.

4:30am Rosy arrives

4:31am contraction
4:33am contracton

4:36am You get in birthing pool




4:37am contraction; they are getting longer and more intense

4:40am contraction. Linda checks heart tones

4:43am contraction

4:47am contraction; Analee says "Baby Charlie is coming!"

4:51am contraction. Jenny & Brandon begin bringing boiling water in to control water temp.





4:54am contraction

4:58am contraction; you say you think you're pushing 'a little'

4:59am Linda checks heart tones, Brian is eating Kix at the table"

At this time, I starting getting "grunty" and letting out little involuntary grunt pushes. When asked if I felt like pushing, I whispered "I don't know." I'm not much of a talker when I'm in labor. :) The end of each hard contraction was met with a grunt and push. Again, my body was doing this all on it's own. Even in that intense moment, I was in awe at what was going on with very little effort on my part.

My mom and Cheli were sitting on the floor in front of me, verbally coaching me through contractions and letting me squeeze their hands. Brandon was offering physical support and giving counter pressure on my lower back. I may or may not have yelled "Get on my back!" at one point during labor. Haha!
At 5:05am is when my midwife noted that I began actively pushing. I think the little grunty pushes went on for a while before I put much effort forth, though.
5:09am I felt a BURST and knew my water had broken. I said, "I think my water just broke." Brandon said "OH YEAH, I saw it rush through the water!"

Again, even in the intensity of the moment, I found myself totaly in my head, thinking, "This is AMAZING. I've never experienced my water breaking on it's own. This is working...I am really doing this."
From 5:15-5:42am, contractions and pushing continued.

"5:43am you said 'It burns so bad!'

5:44am push, push, push

5:45am head is out!

5:46am almost shoulders...."

During this second stage of labor (pushing) everyone in the room was so encouraging, offering calm affirmations, and reminders that I was doing exactly what I needed to be doing. No coaching me on when or how to push. No holding my breath and pushing for a count of 10. After his head was out, my midwife did let out a single "You've got to push!" because his shoulders seemed to be a little lodged. The little bugger had his arms crossed up over his shoulders. But that was just the UMPH I needed to get him out, once and for all. I few more strong pushes and...



"5:47am Baby is out!"





2 hours and 47 minutes after active labor started.

Cue tears of JOY, laughter, smiles, high fives, hugs all around.

Out of the water and straight into my arms he went. I breathed a giant sigh of relief and just reveled in the moment. I had dreamt of this moment for years. After Analee was born in '06, I knew it would be different the next time. And after Brian was born in 'o8, while his birth was definitely different than Analee's, I still knew that the next time would be peacefully done at home. And it was.

I felt an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment. I've heard people say "I don't need a medal for going through natural childbirth" and they talk about natural childbirthers like they are just trying to prove a point or win some award or title. Of course I didn't do it naturally at home for any of those reasons, but I sure did feel like Super Woman and wanted to shout it from the rooftops. I did this for my son. I did this for me and my family. My intention was to bring life into the world as perfect nature intended, for the safety of myself and my baby.

And I did it. And BOY, DID IT FEEL GOOD!

-----

Charles Gregory Wilson born at 5:47am on his due date, November 11th, 2010


9lbs, 4oz. 20.5 inches





We are so in love.




I was able spend the next 3 days in bed with my new boy. I was so blessed by my family and friends who came to clean my house, make us food, and play with the big kids.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5/4/2013 age 2.5 and potty training
"Mommy I just went pee and it feel me so good."

Charlie often says things like "My tummy feels hurt!"  or "Fanks, you feeled me better!"  hehe

No comments: